One of the biggest symptoms of addiction is denial – the belief that no matter how bad it gets, you don’t have a problem.
So with the voice in your head telling you that everything is still OK, and maybe even friends trying to convince you that everyone parties like you do, how can you tell if it’s time to call it quits?
But in the meantime, Alcoholics Anonymous has an easy 12-question quiz that can help you decide if AA (or NA) is right for you. (If you think you might have a drug problem, substitute any mentions of alcohol or drinking with drugs or using.)
- Have you ever decided to stop drinking for a week or so, but only lasted a couple of days?
- Do you wish people would mind their own business about your drinking and stop telling you what to do?
- Have you ever switched from one kind of drink to another in the hope that this would keep you from getting drunk?
- Have you ever had to have an eye-opener upon awakening during the past year?
- Do you envy people who can drink without getting into trouble?
- Have you had problems connected with drinking in the past year?
- Has your drinking caused trouble at home?
- Do you ever try to get “extra” drinks at a party because you do not get enough?
- Do you tell yourself you can stop drinking any time you want to, even though you keep getting drunk when you don’t mean to?
- Have you missed days of work or school because of drinking?
- Do you have “blackouts”?
- Have you ever felt that your life would be better if you did not drink?
If you answered YES to even one of these questions, you might have a problem with alcohol or other substances, according to our friends at AA. And while this quiz is not intended to diagnose you with alcoholism or any kind of addiction, it might be a start towards thinking about your issues.
To really get to the bottom of your questions, call us today. Our kind, smart, and non-judgmental staff members can help you figure out if you really want to live that way – and what to do next if you don’t.